Michael C. Barnes, Esq., Principal Attorney at Sequel Legal, will speak at the upcoming webinar “Change Is Law: A Federal Drug Policy Update”, hosted by The Center for U.S. Policy and Community Impact NC. Below is a description of the webinar:
Change Is Law: A Federal Drug Policy Update
March 29, 2023, 10 AM – 11 AM ET
The federal government’s COVID-19 public health emergency (PHE) declaration will end on May 11, 2023. The drug poisoning PHE, first declared in 2017, is certain to be extended, as more than 100,500 fatal drug poisonings occurred in the U.S. in the 12 months ending in September 2022.
In response to the drug poisoning crisis and in relation to the end of the COVID-19 PHE, federal drug policy changes are occurring rapidly. These changes will affect substance use disorder (SUD) prevention, treatment, recovery, and harm reduction.
During this free, one-hour webinar, drug policy professionals will address:
- Which COVID-19 PHE regulatory flexibilities will be made permanent, and which will be rolled back;
- How upcoming changes may impact SUD, prevention, treatment, recovery, and harm reduction;
- A new law facilitating research on cannabinoids;
- The elimination of the DATA 2000 waiver requirement for prescribers of buprenorphine for opioid use disorder (OUD);
- New rules improving access to methadone for OUD; and
- A recent report providing a glimmer of hope that substance misuse may be in decline.
The session will conclude with a Q&A.
This webinar is intended for people with a moderate or higher understanding of SUD prevention, treatment, recovery, and harm reduction policies and practices.